Thursday, 20 November 2014

Spicy Roasted Chickpeas



chickpeas

Snacks! Possibly one of the most difficult areas of my diet. I’m a picker. I pick at food, I’d rather graze on little bits of food constantly rather than have one massive meal.

DSC_0340


It’s an area I’m trying to fix. Trying to make healthy choices. As we all know this is a million times easier said than done. Especially this month as I am trying to do so many things at once.

DSC_0345

My problem is, that I don’t strive well under stressful conditions. I know some people need a little stress to motivate them. I, on the other hand, break down under stress. I stop doing things all together. This is not necessarily a good thing! If I know what I am supposed to be doing; I have a plan; I have an itinerary, I work fine. When things start piling up, I stop functioning.

DSC_0348

My fiancé and I, have recently started house hunting. Stressful enough as it is, mortgages, loans, savings . . . it adds up. I don’t even want to think about it anymore, but it’s something that we need to do. I hate the thought of us just throwing money away to a land lord. Especially with our electric and gas providers. (for the rented houses, they are on a fixed tariff, the higher tariff!) On top of the expenses, we have no room whatsoever. We basically live in a two room apartment. (with a tiny showerless bathroom and a kitchen you can’t even swing a cat in!) Speaking of cats, my little kitty child Dexter Morgan roams these rooms, and it’s getting a tad claustrophobic. Sometimes, you want to sit in the office on your own. Only our office is the corner of our living room. So trying to do work to the sound of FIFA or NBA is difficult and rather off-putting!

Rants aside. Ive been loving these roasted chick peas. Really simple to prepare, and really tasty. I can think of a ton of different spice mixes I’d love to give a go. Simple, is good.


Recipe:

1 can of chickpeas – drained 

½ tbsp chilli powder

1 tbsp Turmeric

1 tsp parsley flakes



1. Add the chickpeas and spices into a small bowl, mix to thoroughly coat the chickpeas with the spices.

2. Arrange the coated chickpeas on a baking sheet.

3. Bake at approximately 160 degrees centigrade for 10-15 minutes.

4. Remove from the oven and leave on the baking sheet until cooled.

5. Baked chickpeas will keep for approximately a week in a sealed container.






Substitutions// Notes

I have used dried chickpeas, the only problem is that you have to soak them overnight and cook them first. I have also found that dried chickpeas are firmer than the tinned variety.

A variety of different spices can be used, and I also think that it might be nice to use different beans. Edamame, black eyed or black beans perhaps?

Stay in touch with me, either on twitter or by email! I'll always be ready to talk.

#AccidentalVegan

#SuperSimpleVegan
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...