Sunday, 30 March 2014

Turkish Delight Raw Brownies



Turkish Delight Brownies Titles

When I was little I remember having Turkish Delight with my Grandad. 

Not the chocolate covered, gelatine filled version sold in every corner shop, instead the traditional version gently flavoured with rose water. 

The fact that I shared it with my Grandad, makes it somewhat more special. I've tried to make it, both the traditional way, and other ways for him many different times. I still haven't succeeded. 

We've had Turkish Delight sauce.

DSC_0068

One of my favourite recipes I found on Pinterest years ago. Courtesy of Judita via Pure Mamas

I love it, and I've adapted it a million different ways since then. I highly recommend trying the original recipe at least once (even if you do halve it. . . the quantities are massive!)

DSC_0070

The whole concept of raw interests me so much. I'm currently just not ready to attempt it, nor do I have sufficient knowledge to go that way!

Is anyone out there Raw? I'd love to hear from you, tips/ tricks/ favourite recipes etc!

DSC_0118

Until I know enough, I'm going to continue educating myself  (I did read about warm raw soup. .  I didn't really understand it. . . although I do know that there is a certain temperature things aren't supposed to go over)

And I'm going to educate myself with more of this!

DSC_0117

I made a batch of this for an 80th birthday party. . . sometimes I add 1 tbsp of Carob in, but I've learnt that people of that generation can be quite blunt and cutting. They say what they mean without thinking twice. I've also learnt that if they don't like something. They'll let you know. 

Carob is so subjective. I know most find it crazy bitter. (I love it - I took most of the refined sugar out of my diet, and I have less of a sweet tooth now. Since January all I have eaten is one doughnut, and I really didn't even enjoy it. It sounds ridiculous I know, but I'm more than content with these raw brownies, which are, FYI, amazing!)

DSC_0115

If you're not a fan of rose water, just replace it with vanilla, and these will make some delicious raw chocolate brownies. 



Recipe :
for the base

1 1/2 cup cashews (see notes)
1/2 cup almond meal
1/3 cup apricots (see notes)
1/3 cup dates
1/3 cup cacao powder
1 tsp rose water (see notes)
2 tablespoons water


for the glaze


1/4 cup cacao powder
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1 tbsp agave
(see notes)
1 tsp vanilla
rose coloured food dust (optional!) (see notes)



1. In a food processor, blitz the cashews, apricots and dates until it looks like wet sand.
2. Add in the almond meal and cacao and pulse a little more until combined. (it will be a little drier, but don't worry)
3. Add the water and rose water to the food processor and pulse once more. The mixture will be sticky and often rolls up into a ball of it's own accord. If it doesn't stick together and is still a little too dry, add in some more water, 1 tsp at a time until a dough is formed.
4. Press the mixture into a 9" cake tin, lined with greaseproof paper.
5. Once the mixture has set ( most probably a couple of hours in the fridge will be long enough) mix together all of the ingredients for the glaze. Pour into the cake tin on top of the dough mixture and roll the tin from side to side until all of the top is covered.
6. Place back in the fridge to set, usually for about 10 minutes. Then, remove from the tin and cut into desired shapes.
7. For a little extra touch, (and because I love playing with food colours!) I dusted the tops of the slices with a rose coloured dust using a paint brush.





Substitutions :
Cashews - whole almonds, hazelnuts or walnuts all work really well here.


Apricots - This recipe is pretty flexible and a lot of different dried fruits work. I have tried many different variations of this, using raisins (as the original recipe does), apricots, cranberries and even dried apples.


Agave - Agave can be substituted for maple syrup or even honey if you are not a strict vegan.

Notes :

Rose water is SO hard to find. I remember when I was younger and me and my mother had spent days trying to track it down. Since then I've been able to find it in one of the more expensive super markets near to where I live. However the other day it became apparent to me that it is actually often sold in health food shops. I had a look and it's true. It is. Not only is it there, it's in a much bigger bottle and is much cheaper. So if you are struggling to locate it, I suggest the health food shop is your first port of call. As a last resort, Amazon sells it!

The coloured food dust I used is intended for use with roll out icing. It's for colouring during sugar-craft without adding any more liquid to the mixture. It's almost like really really fine edible glitter (which I think would look super pretty too!). Don't try to use food gel or food colouring for this, because as much as I love them, they really wouldn't work here!

Stay in touch with me, either on twitter or by email! I'll always be ready to talk.

#AccidentalVegan #SuperSimpleVegan 


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...