Thursday, 13 March 2014

Quinoa Bread, Avocado and Goji Ketchup


Quinoa Bread Title

I, like a lot of others, love finding new recipes. Recently I've been on a mission to collect and try out as many different bread recipes as I can.

This is my new favourite. 

Ashley's Quinoa Oat Bread initially attracted me because I just received a sack of Quinoa flour in the post! I've said it before, I'm not really that struck on Quinoa (nor am I that struck on writing it, such an annoying word to type!) but I keep trying it with the hope that one day I'll like it!

DSC_0195

The first attempt at this recipe didn't go that well, mainly because in my haste I put the mixture into a cold tin, lined with greaseproof paper.

Bad idea. Don't do it. A hot pan is definitely the key.

DSC_0202

I also used a tin with a removable bottom which I'm sure did help with the removal, I was anticipating a struggle the second time I made it, just like the first, but it worked brilliantly.

I made this bread, and then instead of slicing and turning into a sandwich to serve with the Goji Ketchup, I spread the bread with the Ketchup, covered it in Spinach, Sweetcorn and onion and then sprinkled it with a little Soy Cheese, baked it for 5 minutes and served with a simple salad. 

Trust me, it's brilliant that way too!

DSC_0203

I am currently using Kiwi Compote- unsweetened, however that's just due to a little Kiwi Accident I had the other day! I was really quite surprised that the flavour of the compote did not affect the overall taste of the bread. At all. 

DSC_0207

If you've been reading some of my posts, you'll understand that I love Avocado. Therefore this Sandwich of grated Carrot, Avocado, Salad and Sliced Tomato was one of the best lunches I've  had in a long time.

DSC_0211

I'd love to try different herb (and fruit!) combinations as well as different fillings. I'd also like to give this bread recipe a go with more Chia and/or Flax.

This Ketchup Recipe is SO simple, really all you do is blitz in a food processor. The original recipe is one I found in the book Raw Magic (my sister bought me it!) but I made a few of my own alterations (because, I can't help myself!)

I also 100% reccommend Kate Magic's book Raw Magic, it is not only full of tasty things, it's also a really interesting read! (but maybe you have to be strange like me and actually enjoy reading cookery books as novels. . . ) I'm not raw, but the idea really intrigues me. . . I'm just not sure I'd want to eat cold food all the time, but that may just be my lack of knowledge!



Recipe :
Quinoa Oat Bread
1/2 cup Oat Flour
1/2 Cup Quinoa Flour
1/4 Cup Rice Flour
(See notes)
1/4 Cup Almond Flour
1 Cup Water
2 Tbsp Milled Chia Seed (see notes)
1 Tbsp Flax Seed (see notes)
1 Tbsp Kiwi Compote (see notes)
1 Tsp Oregano (see notes)
1 Tsp Basil
1 Tsp Celery Salt

For the Goji Ketchup

12 Cherry Tomatoes (see notes)
1 Cup Goji Berries - Soaked over night
(see notes)
1/2 Cup Sun Dried Tomatoes
1/4 Red Onion
1 Tbsp Coconut Oil (see notes)
4 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar (see notes)
1 Tbsp Agave (see notes)
1 tsp Tahini (see notes)


1. In a small bowl mix the Water and Compote together.
2. In a seperate mixing bowl add the Flour's, the Chia Seed, Herbs and Celery Salt and mix together.
3. Grease a 10" tin, and place in an oven at 180c to warm for 5 minutes.
4. Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients and mix until completely combined.
5. Carefully remove the tin from the oven and pour the mixture in, levelling off with a palette knife (or any other knife!)
6. Place the tin back in the oven and bake for 45 minutes.

Ketchup:

1. Blitz all of the ingredients in a blender (see notes)!




Substitutions :
Rice Flour - The original recipe did not have the 1/4 cup of Rice Flour, instead had an extra 1/4 cup of Quinoa Flour

Milled Chia Seed - I have only recently been able to source Chia Seed that has been milled, usually I can only locate whole Chia Seed. I have found however, if you put the Whole Chia Seed into a blender or food processor (I used my magic bullet) and pulse the seed, you get a close result.

Flax Seed - I added the Flax Seed in because I like Flax! However it is totally not necessary!

Kiwi Compote - Unsweetened Apple sauce was used originally, however I had a little bit of an accident with a Kiwi recipe the other day and have been overrun with Kiwi Compote, I'm positive that any unsweetened - fairly neutral compote would work. (or not so, Kiwi tends to be quite acidic! and worked regardless!)

Herbs - The herbs are completely subjective, these are just those that I used. I really would like to try with Rosemary because it is a herb I usually neglect, Sage would also be nice.

Cherry Tomatoes - I used Cherry Tomatoes, but the original recipe used large tomatoes, I was initially worried that there may be too much tomato skin, but this was not the case.

Coconut Oil - Any Oil would work here, I am almost certain as the amount is so negligible, I'm also sure you could leave it out if you wanted.

Tahini - As with the Oil, it would be perfectly fine to leave the Tahini out.



Notes :


I soaked the Goji Berries overnight, as I found that the hard berries I used on my first trial, did not blend very well. I don't think they really needed all night, and would have been really useable after only an hour.

I used a lot more Vinegar than originally directed as I felt that it needed it, and I prefered the taste with it, you may need to fiddle around with it a little to get the right amount for your tastes. I suggest starting with 1 Tbsp and building up from there.

I added the Agave in because I felt it rounded out the flavour, I don't think that it is necesarry.



 Stay in touch with me, either on twitter or by email! I'll always be ready to talk.

#AccidentalVegan #SuperSimpleVegan 


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...