Friday, 14 February 2014

Raw Apple Pie Truffles



Raw Apple Pie Truffles Title

First off, let me say I know there is not supposed to be three f's in Truffles. . . but I'm currently being too lazy to go and fix it. I'll get round to it sometime!

I made little fruit and nut truffles like these years ago (I found a few that didn't get eaten not so long ago. Not sure how I managed to miss them/ forget about them/ I binned them, don't worry!) and I really liked them (although, not too much it would seem, being that I forgot about them. . . ) however when I saw the combo Janet (one of my favourite blogs) had made here, I jumped right on that. 

4

Dried Apple (got some of that, check!)
Cinnamon ( one of my favourite flavours, check!!)
Coconut (yup, got some of that lying around too. Triple check!!!)

Let me tell y'all. The weather has been gross. 

I know loads of you are under a foot of snow, and trust me, I'd prefer that. As it is we have 80mph wind and rain. Lots and lots and lots of rain. When it's windy. What happens? It rains bloomin' sideways.

I'm not going out in that. No way. January for me was a car-less month (Car, truck, ditch, crash, sad!) so I couldn't really go anywhere, now I have my car back (or a new car, my car has gone to the great scrapheap in the sky) I'm not really that confident at driving. Which is sad, because I used to love driving. Anyway, this means I didn't really want to go out anywhere, so I've been scouring for recipes where I can use up what we have accumulated in the pantry. 

Don't worry, for valentines day I did splurge on some Tortilla's, Rocket and a fresh block of Tofu! Can't have my man eating just old food now can I. (haha, I lie, I totally can, and if it was my way I totally would. If it was his way he would just be eating chips. I swear before he met me he had the WORST diet ever, It's taken me literally years to try and persuade him otherwise . . . I'm getting there. We currently have a deal. He will eat vegan 90% of the time if I give him a free pass for (eugh) Fried Chicken once in a while, but that's another story. . .)

Anyway. Pantry Balls. That's what I should have re-named these!

3

I think this is a bit of a hand-me-down recipe from a million different sources, but that's fine by me. I love it when recipes are passed from one person to another and tweaked along the way!

2

I lined these up all neatly in little sweet cases and I think they would make a really nice gift for someone. 

You honestly can't even tell they aren't REALLY bad for you (nothing's as bad as fried chicken)

If I was going to make this version again, I think they would be really yummy with some Ground Ginger added in. Or some different spices, to make them really Apple Pie-y.

1

Oh and I almost forgot. I have a question I've been dying to ask some other vegan converts. 

The idea of eggs, and meat, and gelatine really freak me out at the moment, which is super odd because I never really gave a flying whatsit one way or another before. I'd been cooking with all three since I was about 12. Only recently has the idea of them, eggs in particular, started to make my stomach turn, eugh, does anyone else feel like this or is it just me? Being weird again!

Anyway, muchos besitos,  I hope everyone is surviving the weather, I hope those affected by the floods are doing ok, those that are dealing with trees toppling due to the winds are safe and those in the snow.  . . no wait, y'all get no sympathy, send some of the cold this way!



Recipe :
2/3 cup of Ground Almonds
3/4 cup Dried Apples
1/4 - 1/3 cup Dried Prunes
(see notes)
1 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
1 Cup Dessicated Coconut
1 Tbsp Agave (see notes)



1. Add the Ground Almonds, Apples, Prunes and Cinnamon into a food Processor. Process until all of the ingredients are well combined.
2. Tip the mixture into a mixing bowl and add the Agave and Coconut. Stir until evenly distributed.
3. At this point your mixture will still look very crumbly. Roll up your sleeves and bring the mixture together into a dough with your hands.
4.Using a Tbsp measure to evenly (ish!) segment the mixture, roll into small balls.



Substitutions :
Prunes - The original recipe calls for Medjool Dates. I wish someone would buy me a Medjool Date. I have never seen one, never found one . . . I just genuinely don't know what they look like! I can imagine, but I don't know for sure and I feel like I'm missing out! I used Dried Prunes for a mixture of reasons. #1 I had Prunes and no Dates. #2 I figure they are all the same anyway!

Agave - Maple Syrup is ridiculously hard to get hold of at a decent price. So I used Agave!


Notes :



My Dried Apples were very . . . Dried. So I added a couple more Prunes into the mix as they are moister fruits.

Under NO circumstances should you attempt to eat the spoon of Cinnamon. It always ends BADLY . . . Unless you are my brother, who I'm pretty sure is a machine!

  Stay in touch with me, either on twitter or by email! I'll always be ready to talk.

#AccidentalVegan 
#SuperSimpleVegan

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...