Saturday, 22 February 2014

Pina Colada Pantry Balls


pina colada title

One of my worst habits, food wise that is, is picking at food. I can't help it, whether I'm hungry or not I'll pick at food. 

This year I've promised myself to stop it, and I'm proud to report I'm doing pretty well, but to help along the way I love having little healthy snacks to pick at. 

I'd rather pick at one of these, than a biscuit or something like that. 

Now I've never been over-weight (I know this because I visit the hospital constantly, next visit is tuesday this week, and then wednesday as well, and every time I go in, they weigh me, measure me, and ask if I'm pregnant! haha. I'm not. Pete: breathe now), and some articles you read would have you believe that picking at food is better than a few big meals, only I'm not sure. The French would have you believe that snacking is terrible, the Americans would have you believe that it is the best, and we are just confused!

DSC_0755

I've recently re-discovered my love for these lovely little balls of fruit and nut. Thanks to Janet! And I've been picking my brains to see which flavour combos I can put together next.

DSC_0754

Every Sunday evening, me and my mother sit down with a cocktail (virgin or not) and watch Mr Selfridge (I freaking love period dramas, my mother always told me I was born in the wrong era and she was sooo right!) So whilst we were sipping cocktails I thought to myself that a Pina Colada ball would be amazing. 

I sort of think that these would be an awesome alternative to be served at a Cocktail Party!

DSC_0753

Dried Pineapples
Dried Apricots
Dessicated Coconut
Almonds

Rum

Now that's a list of ingredients I like the look of!

DSC_0752

I stopped drinking nearly three years ago now. I wouldn't say I drank a lot in the first place, only when I went out with my friends. At the time I was going through a pretty rough patch and it took nearly three months of soul searching before my mam said she could see "the old me" back again. Regardless, I promised myself I wouldn't drink, that I didn't need to drink in order to have a good time. I stopped drinking, and drank nothing for nearly two years. I then allowed myself a 1/4 of a pint of cider at Christmas, and since then I maybe have drunk cumulatively a pint. Maybe
Since I stopped drinking, Pete, my other half, has curbed his drinking massively as well. Completely unintentionally. But like he said, we just don't feel the need to drink.

We have also witnessed the behaviour of drunk people (not happy drunk, but out of their faces drunk) and it seems almost embarrassing to me that they act like that where as before I think I would have brushed it off.

I am most certainly not condemning drinking. I just do it in a bit more of a classy way now! (yep I know how that sounded! *cringe*)

DSC_0751

Rice flour is not an ingredient I use all too often because I find it sucks up all of the moisture out of the mixture almost immediately. But I am trying to incorporate it into more recipes (stock pile needs depleting).

I thought it worked quite well in this recipe actually, and the texture it provided was really complimentary to the almonds. 

DSC_0750

I know. I'm overanalysing. That's nothing new, it's how my brain works!

DSC_0749

Today, being Saturday is going to involve:

1. A film
2. Some Popcorn
3. Not much else!

I hope y'all have a really nice Weekend, recharge for the week to come, and relax.

Now, I'm off to do some Yoga! (and possibly eat something.)

As an aside, I just want to say I am praying for Ukraine, and I hope everyone else does too, I hope those in power work out a truce, and I pray for the lives lost. I recently read a blog post that said it seemed almost silly to post things like recipes when people are out there losing lives. I totally agree. Ukraine is in my heart. 



Recipe :

2/3 cup of Ground Almonds
3/4 cup of Dried Pineapple (see notes)
1/3 cup Dried Apricots
1 Tsp Rum (see notes)
1/8 cup Rice Flour
1 cup Dessicated Coconut
1 Tbsp Agave (see notes)


1. Add the Ground Almonds, Pineapple, Apricots, Rice Flour and Rum into a food processor. Process until all of the ingredients are well combined.
2. Tip the mixture into a mixing bowl and add the Agave and Coconut. Stir until evenly distributed.
3. At this point your mixture will still look very crumbly. Roll up your sleeves and bring the mixture together into a dough with your hands.
4. Using a Tbsp measure to evenly (ish!) segment the mixture, roll into small balls.







Substitutions :

Sweetener - There are many different types of sweetener you can use. The type you use is up to you and your lifestyle preference. I know a lot of people do not like Splenda-style sweeteners as they are artificial. Personally I have no issues with Splenda. I like to use Stevia, but I know it is sometimes difficult to track down. If you use a dry sweetner, remember you will need to add moisture back in. e.g. I choose to use Stevia instead of Agave.1/2 tsp of Stevia and 1 Tbsp of water will roughly equal 1 Tbsp of Agave.


Notes :

Dried Pineapples are sometimes a little hard to work with as they do become very dry. The best way I feel to combat this is by taking half of the Dried Pineapple and soaking it in Boiling Water for 10 minutes.

You don't necesarrily need to add the Rum, they will be perfectly tasty without, I just wanted a bit of a naughty streak! I did find some Rum Flavouring which may also work!



  Stay in touch with me, either on twitter or by email! I'll always be ready to talk.

#AccidentalVegan 
#SuperSimpleVegan


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...