Wednesday, 12 February 2014

Lemon Creams



Lemon Creams Title

I Love Peppermint Patties.

I hate the word Patties. (RE-NAME TIME!)

So when I stumbled across Angela's Vegan recipe for Peppermint Patties, Angels started singing. The sun started shining and all was right with the world.


OK. So I went a little too far!

I immediately went about summoning the ingredients for this recipe, soaking my Cashews overnight ready for the morning, and preparing myself for the awesome-ness that was to come!

I think we can all agree, Oh She Glows is one of the most inspiring blogs around, and I have total faith in her recipes so I was never in any doubt that these were going to turn out awesome.

Guess what?

They were! - My Boyfriend even asked for more as I left his house. That got me thinking. What other flavours could I concoct?!

My mother did point out that perhaps this only worked because of how strong the peppermint flavouring was, but I was always going to attempt something else anyway.

In a box of Chocolates, the ones that always go first are the Strawberry Creams, the Orange Creams and the Lemon Creams. I wanted to try and make Orange Creams (but I had no Orange Extract). Right. Plan B. Lemon Creams it is. . . and I am proud to report, they work just as well as the originals, are fun to make, and taste amazing!

Boyfriend Approved
Mother Approved
Sister Approved!

DSC_0626

My first set, the Peppermint ones, I dipped in the Chocolate Mixture, and set on a wire rack over some greaseproof paper, bad move. They stick. If you place them directly onto the greaseproof paper they don't. Ah well. Trial and error!

DSC_0695

DSC_0697

DSC_0699

Nom! I did manage to restrain myself from eating all of these! - mainly because I think they would make a really lovely valentines gift for someone.



Recipe : 
1/2 cup Cashew Nuts, soaked overnight (or 2/3 hours)
1/2 cup Coconut Oil (melted)
3 Tbsp Agave
2 Tbsp Rice Milk
(See Notes)
1 Tsp Lemon Oil
1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
(See Notes)
Finely Grated Zest of 1 Lemon
1/4 Cup Cocoa Powder
1/4 Cup Coconut Oil
1 Tbsp Agave


1. Drain the soaked Cashews and rinse. Add to the blender with the rice milk.
2. Blend until they form a paste. (See Notes)
3. Add the Lemon Oil, Lemon Juice, Agave, and Coconut Oil to the blender, continue to blend until a smooth, custard-like consistency is reached.
4. Spoon 1tbsp amounts into small cupcake liners (See Notes). Place in the freezer. (See Notes)
5. Mix the Coconut Oil, Agave and Cocoa until combined.
6. Coat the Patties with this mixture and set aside until set. Best stored in the fridge.




Substitutions :

Rice Milk - This is just what I had opened. In order to prevent death by Milk (I usually end up with a million different types open!) I just used it. I'm pretty sure any type of non- dairy milk will work, try Soy, Almond or Coconut for extra rich patties.
Notes :

I didn't really want huge chunks of Lemon Zest in my Patties, so I used a microplane to get it fine enough. It works really well. I'm not sure whether the blending has anything to do with that though!


When you blend the Rice Milk with the Cashews, the paste may at first be a little lumpy, don't worry about this, every time I've tried this, the moment you blend with the other ingredients a smooth liquid always appears. Angela specified a high speed blender, but I'm pretty sure you could get away with a slightly slower one.


Miniature Muffin Liners are what I used for this, I believe the original specified sweet liners, which are foiled/coated (I could be wrong!) but I found they do not need to be. I do have a set of miniature liners made from silicone, and next time will definitely use these as it would save the waste. I found that most supermarkets sell miniature cupcake liners and I found the silicone ones in the local discount "single-coin" store (if you catch my drift!!!) so they are not expensive!


When I first attempted the original Peppermint version, I put them in the freezer for about two hours. The lemon version, more like half an hour. I couldn't even detect a difference. They were pretty much identical. Half an hour was definitely enough.


I live in a pretty cold climate. Even in the dead of summer coconut oil will still be solid. This means I don't really need to bother keeping these in the fridge, but if some of you lucky lucky people who live in a warmer place ( a place where at room temperature Coconut Oil is a liquid) I suggest keeping them in the fridge. Otherwise you will end up with a puddle. !!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...