Sunday, 16 February 2014

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Desserts


Peanut Butter Cup Dessert Title

I don't know what it is at the moment, but all I'm really interested in cooking is desserts.

I know, I know, I'm supposed to like cooking desserts, but I've always been more of a savoury person. Cheese on Toast used to be my favourite meal. 

Only I love baking, so Cake is always on the cards. This week has brought with it a few failed experiments and I needed some cheering up (I really, really want a decent vegan Doughnut. Baked. Not fried. I'm struggling to make one)

1

So I started perousing the world of Pinterest **ooohs & aaahs here** for some inspiration and I came across Peanut Butter Cup Desserts. Every one of those words hits a home run with me at the moment.

I love Peanut Butter. (when it's combined with Chocolate!) I'm lying, I have never liked the stuff much, I didn't like it as a kid, I didn't like it with Jelly. In fact I have quite a vivid memory of it actually making me gag at one point. 

That's the thing with me, even if I don't like it, I'll try and convince myself that it wasn't that bad, and try it again, and again, and again and . . . . you get the picture. I love Peanuts, so why shouldn't I like Peanut Butter?! I did come to the conclusion that it's probably the way it sticks to the roof of your mouth.

Anyway. 

2

Peanut Butter Cup Desserts sounded like a really fun thing to try! I ended up making them for my Pete, however, he then decided to tell me that he likes Sundae's more. (AGHHH!)

Allow me to enlighten you with a peak inside our relationship (Those of a nervous disposition may want to look away now) :

Last night he said :
"Han, you want to know a secret?"
"what?" (I was watching a CSI, not in a talkative mood . . . !)
"I don't like Dark Chocolate"

Now, that doesn't sound that bad, just a bloke telling his girl he doesn't like Dark Chocolate, had I not just made Chocolate Mousse, and had he not just inhaled the whole thing.

Yep. Diplomacy, not his greatest skill.

5

This recipe is (surprise surprise) based heavily on one from Angela, and (my mother is going to hate me for this, she has issues with desserts in Jam jars, but they are cute!) I even styled them similarly because I liked how they looked!

I will say though, if you choose to do the same, it is bloomin' difficult to aim the mixture into a Jam jar!

4


I did however change the original Graham Cracker Crust to this one ( I use this in place of Pastry a LOT. I don't really like Pastry.) It worked really well and these taste. . . 

No. I don't need to tell you how great they taste do I??

If you have doubts about using Tofu in a dessert. Stop it! - I promise you 100% you can't taste Tofu, it's more for adding body and texture, with minimal calories and dairy products. It really does work, I often make Chocolate Mousse with Tofu!




Recipe :
1/2 Cup Walnuts (obliterated in the food processor!) (see notes)
2/3 cup Ground Almonds
1 Tsp Butter Extract
1/4 Cup Coconut Oil
1/4 Cup Granulated Sweetener (see notes)

200g (ish) Tofu
1/4 Cup Peanut Butter
1Tbsp Agave
2Tbsp Sucanat (see notes)
1Tsp Vanilla Paste

*1/4 Cup Cocoa
1/4 Cup Coconut Oil
1 Tbsp Agave
1/2 Tsp Vanilla Paste.


1. In a mixing bowl add the Walnuts, Almonds and Sweetener. Mix until they are fully combined.
2. Stir in the melted Coconut Oil and Butter Extract, The mixture should resemble wet sand**
3. Press into your serving dishes (see notes) and bake at 180 ° for 20 minutes.
4. Remove from the oven and allow to cool whilst you prepare the filling.
5. In a food processor add the Tofu, Peanut Butter, Agave, Sucanat and Vanilla. Process until the mixture is fully blended.
6. Spoon the mixture over the bases and place in the freezer for 30 minutes to firm up.
7. Melt the Coconut Oil and mix with the Cocoa, Agave and Vanilla. Carefully spoon over the Tofu and evenly distribute *.
8. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or until the Chocolate mixture has set.

*See notes for Chocolate.
**Attractive sounding, I know!




Substitutions :

Walnuts - I used Walnuts, because I wanted a bit of a crunch to the bottom layer, almost mimicking the biscuit base of the original recipe. I think you could get away with a plethora of different nuts in place of the Walnuts. I personally think Salted Peanuts could work really well.

Sweetener - There are many different types of sweetener you can use. The type you use is up to you and your lifestyle preference. I know a lot of people do not like Splenda-style sweeteners as they are artificial. Personally I have no issues with Splenda. I like to use Stevia, but I know it is sometimes difficult to track down.

Agave & Sucanat - Again, there are loads of different types of sweeteners you can use here. Man made or natural. Maple Syrup may work well. The original recipe used only dry sweetener in this step, so when I used a liquid sweetener I took out the milk. If you wish to use a dry sweetener only, I suggest adding the 1 Tbsp of Almond (or any other non-dairy) milk back in.


Notes :

The serving dishes you use do need to be oven-proof as they will go in the oven in order to bake the base.

The topping mixture I used is in fact Katie's 3 Ingredient Chocolate Bar recipe, and I just prefer it to traditional Chocolate, however it is totally possible to use Angela's original plan and use Vegan Chocolate. I would suggest you use Dark Dark Chocolate though, otherwise I fear it may be too sweet.


  Stay in touch with me, either on twitter or by email! I'll always be ready to talk.

#AccidentalVegan 
#SuperSimpleVegan

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...