Thursday, 6 February 2014

Basics : Almond Butter.


almond butter title

Almond Butter, as with Coconut Butter, is something I use allllllll the time. 

If you are in need of a snack, apples, almond butter and cinnamon. mmmmm!

When I was younger I was never much of a fan of peanut butter, I just didn't get the hype, I just didn't like it, in fact I recall it used to make me gag slightly. 

Almond butter however, is in a totally different ball game. It's so useful as well, I really like to use it in making things like healthy fudge, cakes and added into sauces. 

DSC_0603

I've never seen Almond Butter in a shop, but they tell me that it does exist! Being that it is so easy to make, I don't really understand why you would buy it anyway, well, I do, but you know what I mean! 

At the supermarket I just bought a huge bag of Raw Almonds from the foreign food aisle. Then I bashed them into the food processor, waited 15-20 minutes and bam! Almond Butter, ready to be used in recipes. 

I don't even have a ridiculously overpowered food processor (I can dream. I can dream) so that is not an issue. I do like to give it a bit of a couple of minutes break when I scrape the sides of the processor down in five minute intervals. I'm not sure if this helps or not, but in my head I'm telling myself that I'm not letting the motor get overheated! 

DSC_0581

DSC_0583

DSC_0584

DSC_0585

DSC_0587

As a general rule, I've found that for every 2 cups of Almonds, you will have a yield of 1 cup of finished Almond Butter. 

DSC_0606

DSC_0607

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to find some Rye Bread, a toaster, and some Almond Butter!


Recipe: 
2 Cups Almonds!


1. Place the Almonds into the food Processor
2. Begin to Process. I switch the machine on in 5 minute intervals. I find that you often need to scrape down the sides of the processor bowl, but that may just be my machine!
3. Continue processing until a paste is formed. (See Notes)
4. Scoop the paste out into your chosen jar (I like "Kilner" jars) ready to use in your favourite recipes!




Notes: 
As with my Coconut Butter, All you do is process the Almonds, until you create a paste as the natural oils are released, it really is fascinating to watch the process!

you can obviously add in any type of add-ins you wish, such as vanilla or you can use Blanched Almonds instead of raw ones. Raw is something I aim to, but I haven't quite the discipline to get there yet!

If you think you are not ever going to get to paste consistency, you are more than likely just about there! I have found that sometimes when the mixture is nearly there, if I add in a teaspoon full of existing Almond Butter it somehow loosens the mix up and promotes the formation of the paste.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...