Monday, 24 February 2014

Avocado Cake


Avocado Cake Title


I can't be the only one in love with Avocado's. Can I?

I wrote a comment the other day about someone finding me an AA group (Avocado Anonymous). The problem really has got that bad. There are only so many Avocado Salads a girl can eat!. . .


I know I'm not the first to come up with this idea. I'm also quite well known in my family for putting strange fruits and vegetables in places they do not belong. (proof here!)

I had a quick scour of the internet to see what other people have done.

Joy, of Joy The Baker's version.
Veets Cuisine version (am I the only one who loves Australian blogs? They just appeal to me, and I don't know why!)
Ms I-Hua's Version
Lyuba of Will Cook For Smiles' version

As you see, it's been done.
But that wasn't going to stop me. . . Oh no! 1 ripe Avocado (come on, we know they are under-ripe, under-ripe, under-ripe, READY - EAT ME . . oh no. too late!) and 1 ripe Banana later.

DSC_0091

Now prepare yourself, because that beautiful green goes from looking like that to . . . . 

this.

DSC_0092

Not a pretty sight I know, but bare with me here, because it will soon turn into something magical .

DSC_0093

DSC_0095

DSC_0137

With Banana flowers, because I can't help myself. I made this batch for my sister when she came home from school, flowers and all. (she did whinge about the "leeeeaves" mind!)

These are tried and tested. My sister ate them by the bucket load. (at one point I do believe she plunged her face into the plate) If you think it's odd to put fruit and veg where they don't belong. . . think again, I totally urge you to try it, the results are absolutely worth it. Promise.



Recipe :

1/2 cup Almond Milk (see notes)
2 Tbsp White Wine Vinegar (see notes)
1/3 cup Oil (see notes)
3/4 cup Self Raising Flour
1/4 cup Oat Flour
1 Tsp Baking Powder
1 Tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
1/2 cup Sugar (see notes)
1/4 cup Stevia
1 small ripe Avocado
1 small ripe Banana


1. Begin by curdling the Milk. Add the Milk and the Vinegar into a measuring jug and stir, set aside for a couple of minutes.
2. Meanwhile add the Flours, Baking Powder, Bicarb, Sugar and Stevia into a large mixing bowl.
3. In a seperate bowl mash the Banana and Avocado. (see notes)
4. Add the Oil to the Milk and Vinegar mixture. The milk should have curdled, and begun to seperate. Don't worry if you don't see any immediate signs of this happening. I find that some brands of milk curdle better than others.
5. Add the fruit mixture to the Flour bowl and stir until just combined.
6. Pour in the Milk mix and combine. Once combined spoon into your cake tins. Tap the tins on a work surface firmly, you should see some bubbles come to the surface.
7. Bake in the oven at 180 for 20-25 minutes, or until when a toothpick is inserted, it comes out clean.








Substitutions :

Almond Milk - There are many different types of non-dairy Milks to choose from, I prefer to use either Rice Milk, or Almond Milk (both unsweetened) but you could choose to use Soy or Oat milk as well.

White Wine Vinegar - Usually with baking I choose to use either White Wine Vinegar or Cider Vinegar. When the Cake is baked, you can't detect the vinegar so there is no reason for me to be picky! - you could use pretty much any type of Vinegar here at all.

Oil - I usually use either Vegetable Oil or Sunflower Oil. Occasionally I will use Coconut Oil but I wouldn't recommend using Olive Oil, as the taste is a little too strong.

Sugar - As always feel free to play around with the types of sugar you use, just be aware that it may change the bulk of the recipe. If you choose to use a liquid sweetener such as Agave, be sure to reduce the liquid content.


Stay in touch with me, either on twitter or by email! I'll always be ready to talk.

#AccidentalVegan 
#SuperSimpleVegan

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...