Wednesday, 8 January 2014

Basics : Coconut Butter - With Vanilla.


Coconut Butter with Vanilla Title

Hia everyone, I hope everyone's week is going well!

I've been thinking about this for quite a while. Nut Butters are so useful when baking, and are delish with fruit for an easy dessert. Only where I live it is practically impossible to get any form of nut butter that doesn't begin with a "p" and rhyme with "ski-hut!"

As I think this is a bit of a simple recipe, that can be used in so many different recipes, I'm going to place it in my Basics category. One of the most useful ingredients in my Vegan diet, that can't be easily purchased.

I once came accross some coconut butter, only it wasn't for consumption.(?!) Go figure to what it was actually for!

DSC_0495

Here's the thing.

Nut Butters are so damn easy to make. 1 (or 2 if you're being all fancy-like) ingredient, 15 minutes in a food processor and bam! it's done.

I do think we could seriously put a few companies out of business here. . .

DSC_0497

I've noticed a lot of people make their own Coconut (etc) butter because they like the rustic home-made-ness, and I'm not going to lie, I enjoy that a lot, but it's not the sole reason I made my own.

It's too much of a challenge for me to find, and when I do find it, it's too expensive for me to warrant purchasing.

A 2kg bag of Dessicated Coconut, actually costs me less than 1 small jar of butter. A bag this size will give you 7-8 decent sized jars full.

DSC_0498
(After 5 minutes of processing,  the coconut begins to stick together like this, I knocked the bits from the side of the bowl back into the middle.)

After arguing with the insurance company (car needs rescuing, after the accident), nomming some soy chocolate drinking 2 smoothies and some aloe-vera water later, we have raw home-made coconut butter!

enjoy!

DSC_0500
(After 10 minutes of processing,  the coconut begins to stick together like this, again I scraped the sides back into the bowl)


DSC_0502
(After 15 minutes of processing,  the oils seep out of the coconut, and it has the traditional nut butter texture!)


DSC_0503
                                                                (After stirring in the vanilla seeds)


DSC_0513

Perfect for spreading on some freshly baked, warm Pumpkin Seed Bread!


Recipe:


2 Cups dessicated coconut, unsweetened.
vanilla if desired. (See Notes)


1. place the dessicated coconut into a food processor (See Notes)
2. Begin to process, I switch the machine on and leave it running for approx 5 minutes.
3. Continue to blend in 5 minute intervals, until the desired consistency is reached. (See Pictures)
4. Scrape the paste from the machine, into a clean bowl. Stir in 1/4 tsp of vanilla seed paste if using.
5. Store in airtight container. I like to store in  "kilner" jars as they are airtight, and easy to get in and out of when you want to use the butter. Only I didn't have any, so I used a simple jam jar.






  

Notes:

I do own a "magic bullet" style processor, and an older "magimix" style processor. For this you really do need to use a more heavy duty processor rather than the pulse style machines, as you need to leave the machine running for a significant amount of time, and a burnt out motor, is never fun.

If you prefer a really smooth coconut butter, then I'd probably stick to the shop bought stuff, as this method makes it extremely difficult to reach that consistency. But for a "nearly smooth" - homemade style butter, I love this method!

Don't attempt smaller batches than this. The mixture will reduce by approximately half during the processing, which means that you will end up with about 1cup of finished butter. Bigger batches work well, smaller batches will leave you constantly scraping the side of the bowl!

Substitutions 


Vanilla - I like to add a dash of vanilla into my Coconut Butter, mainly because I use it for sweet purposes, but you can totally omit this, or add in something else, I hear cinnamon could be nice! really the sky is the limit, and your imagination is your only inhibitor. 


   Stay in touch with me, either on twitter or by email! I'll always be ready to talk.

#AccidentalVegan 
#SuperSimpleVegan





Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...