Friday, 17 January 2014

African Mung Bean Stew

African Mung Bean Stew Title

I have a habit of going into the supermarket, and coming out with something completely obscure that I have no idea of what to do with.

Mung Beans.

Prime example.

I ended up with a 2kg bag of Mung Beans just chilling out in my pantry. What on earth do you do with mung beans?! at the end of the day, they're mung beans!

The other day, however, I stumbled across this post by the lovely, talented Janet on the taste space. (Toronto, somewhere I would seriously LOVE to go. . .but that's for another time!) I posted the recipe to my google+ (something that still bemuses me, I never really got into it, but again, I'm going off topic) with the intention to perhaps try it some time. It couldn't wait. The mung beans were calling my name!

With a bit of tweaking, I sort of superimposed Janet's recipe with one I made at school over 10 years ago. My teacher, Mrs Rogers (she was one of those teachers, you know, who absolutely love you because you are interested in what she was saying) called it African Curry, so I've renamed my version African Mung Bean Stew, but again as with my Mexican Sweetcorn Chowder, my geography is probably a little off! shall we use the word inspired?!

Hope you enjoy!

DSC_0514
(the perfect recipe for the end of the week when your veg start to go a little soggy!)


DSC_0516
(The veg as the begin to fry off)

DSC_0520
(Spice Mix! - the best smell will start to come from your kitchen!)


DSC_0521
(Nearly There, ready to go simmer and do it's thing now!)


DSC_0533
(letting the spinach just wilt, cooking it too long makes it soggy!)

DSC_0537







    Recipe:


1 tbsp Coconut Oil (See Note)
1/2 White Onion
1/2 Yellow Pepper
1 Jalapeño
1 large Potato
2/3 cup Mung beans, rinsed and drained
3 cups of Stock

Spices:
1 tsp Chilli powder
1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
1/2 tsp Ginger Powder
1/4 tsp Turmeric

2 cloves Garlic
1 Tomato
1 handful Spinach
1 tbsp Chia Seeds (See Notes)
Truffle Balsamic (See Notes)

1. Dice the Onion, Pepper, Potato and Jalapeño.
2. Gently heat the Coconut Oil in a Medium Saucepan and sautee the Onion, Pepper and Jalapeño until soft, and the Onion is translucent.
3. Stir in the Potato and Mung Beans, cook for 1 minute.
4. Stir in all of the spices, being careful not to let the garlic catch and burn.
5. Add the Stock and bring to the boil. Once the mixture has reached the boil place a lid on the pan and put in the oven at 220°C for approximately 50 minutes (See Notes).
6. After 50 minutes, remove from the oven and stir in the diced tomato, spinach and Chia Seeds. Allow the spinach to wilt for 10 minutes then add a few drops (1/4 - 1/2 tsp) of Truffle Balsamic.
7. Serve with Peas and freshly baked bread!



   


   Notes:


Chia Seeds: I included Chia seeds, because, well, they are magic! I know not everyone likes them, nor has access to them, but I had them sitting next to the stove top as I was cooking, so naturally they are going to get thrown in, oais?! I'm not sure they added anything whatsoever to this dish, so leave them out if you wish!

Truffle Balsamic: As with the Chia, this was next to the stove, but I really think this added a lot to the dish, I love Balsamic (and vinegar in general, just not on chips!) to death, I'm not sure you'd miss it if you left it out, so feel free to do so. However if you wanted to see what it does for the recipe I'm positive any kind of Balsamic would do seeing as we are only adding the tiniest drops.

I've found that this recipe is best done by bringing the mixture to the boil, and then transferring to the oven to do the most of the cooking time, however I realise this requires an oven-proof pan, if you don't own one, don't worry, just bring the mixture to the boil, then reduce to a steady simmer, place the lid on the pan and leave to cook on the stove top for the allotted time.


    Substitutions:


Coconut Oil: Really the Coconut Oil was only used to sautee and soften the Onion, Pepper and Jalapeño so it could be any oil of your choice. Olive Oil, Sunflower Oil, or Vegetable Oil would all work really well. 



   Stay in touch with me, either on twitter or by email! I'll always be ready to talk.

#AccidentalVegan
#SuperSimpleVegan







Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...