Sunday, 14 October 2012

Vegan Vanilla Vinegar Cake


Vegan buns title


When you were a kid, did you lick the bowl? I did. I will admit it.

I was a bit of a timid child, and I always over-thought everything. Still do. I'm a worrier.

Once I was told that if I licked the bowl I would immediately come down with Salmonella and make myself really ill. I never did, but the hours spent worrying about it are uncountable!

Best bit about this cake - other than the fact it tastes fabulous - is that it is egg free, so you lick the bowl as much as you darn well please!

Vegan buns collage

Don't be scared at the thought of adding vinegar into the mix, I know it may seem daunting, but it really is needed in order to activate the raising agent in the cake. You can't taste it at all in the final cake.

I frosted these cupcakes with a mixture of dairy-free spread, dairy free cream cheese and icing sugar, I then sprinkled on some glimmer sugar, because it made my day that little bit brighter, and we could all do with some cheering up as we go into fall.

I will say that if you choose to frost these cakes this way, you need to be really fast when combining all of the ingredients because when over-worked, the dairy free cheese seems to go a little loose on me.

I do aim, however, to make this as accessible as possible, and if you are unable to get hold of dairy free cheese/ dairy free spread (well you must really live out in the sticks, because I can find these, and I'm pretty rural!) make a simple glace icing with just icing sugar and enough water to bring it to the right consistency.

vegan buns 6

This really is a brilliant all-rounder recipe.


    Recipe:

Preheat the oven to 160°C now!
Line your tins! - Will make 16 cupcakes or one 10" cake tin.

     1 cup Plain Flour
     1/2 cup Soy Flour
     1 tsp Bicarbonate of soda (this is the raising agent)
     1 cup non-dairy milk (I used Soy: see Notes)
     1 tbsp Vinegar (see Notes - this reacts with the raising agent to make the cake rise)
     1/2 cup Oil (I used Sunflower: see Notes)
     1/2 cup Sugar
     Vanilla seed extract

1. Sieve together the Flour's and the Bicarbonate of Soda into a large mixing bowl.
2. In another bowl whisk together the milk and the vinegar, then whisk in the oil, sugar and vanilla.
3. Pour the liquid mix into the dry mix, continuously whisking.
4. When smooth, pour quickly into pre-prepared liners.
5. Bake for 15 minutes, or until a skewer, when inserted will come out clean.





   Notes:

   No-one would guess there is vinegar in here at all; I've tried red wine vinegar, malt vinegar, white wine
   vinegar and cider vinegar - All apart from the red wine vinegar work well (I guess that's to be expected
   though!)

   Don't over-do the raising agent, if you do, it won't rise any more effectively, there will just be a lingering
   acidic taste.

   The Soy Flour is used to combat the "artificial-sponge-iness" that is created without it. I believe Cake
   Flour is a combination of Cornflour (or Cornstarch) and Plain Flour, but I've never tried it. If you can't get
   hold of Soy Flour, don't stress, they will still turn out ace. Promise!

   Substitutions:
     Soy Flour - I know this may be difficult to get hold of, just replace with Plain Flour or Cornflour.
     Bicarbonate of soda - Baking Powder works as well!
     Non-Dairy Milk - Soy is easiest to get, but rice milk works really well (as does Almond/Hazelnut)
     Oil - Sunflower is best, but coconut, although distinctive is effective, as is Olive.
     Sugar - Almost any type of sugar substitute can be used. I prefer to use a low-calorie sweetener
                 (splenda-esque) but I have had success with fruit syrup, and agave.

 

   Stay in touch with me, either on twitter or by email! I'll always be ready to talk.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...