Wednesday, 17 October 2012

Spicy Mango Chutney


Mango title


I think almost every Indian meal I had as a child, Mango Chutney was served.

Yes it probably wasn't Spicy Mango Chutney (not that I think this is particularly hot per se). But there it was, pride of place next to the Raiita and Naan Bread.


DSC_0202
(The cracks in this jar, are the result of the dishwasher! - buut I think it looks quite cool!)

This Mango Chutney, I created the other night, as I was waiting for rice to boil, and Curry to reduce.

DSC_0203

I hate chopping Mangoes. Hate hate hate it. But lucky for me, my Grandma came round a few days before, and she chopped it up for me!!

DSC_0218


Thing is, I hate to see fruit (read : Food) go to waste, but as I mentioned before, the local fruit and veg market, is too good to pass up!


DSC_0207


Mango Chutney was born, and because I can never pass up using the Chili Flakes. . I had to give it a little bit of a kick!



   Recipe:

1 Ripe Mango cubed into 1" cubes (UBER ripe!)
1/2 cup Vinegar (see Notes)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp oil
2 tbsp Chili Flakes (see Notes)
1 tbsp Chili Powder
1 tbsp Ginger Powder
1 tbsp Coriander seeds


1. Heat the oil in a medium size saucepan, gently fry all of the spices

2. Add the Mango to the pan and (for lack of a better word) smush it until the cubes begin to break down.
3. Stir in the Brown Sugar and Vinegar.
4. Cook for a further 5 minutes.






   Notes:


   Spice is completely subjective, if you don't like it spicy, then miss out some of the Chili

   Substitutions:

     Vinegar - I used Red Wine Vinegar, because that's what I had on hand, but I'm pretty sure ANY  
      vinegar would work, White Wine, Cider, Malt or even Pickling!




   Stay in touch with me, either on twitter or by email! I'll always be ready to talk.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...