Monday, 15 October 2012

Simple Chick Pea Curry


Chick pea curry title

Indian food is definitely one of my favourite types of food. Indian and Mexican. I have a bit of a thing for spice!

I know this is not the same with everyone, but that's the great thing about curries, you can have them as hot, or not as you like!

This curry is a medium (in my world mild) heat curry.

Chick pea curry collage

In our house, everyone prefers brown rice to white rice. The only downside to this is that it obviously takes twice as long to cook as your standard basmati!

No problem, that just means I have twice as long to figure out how to make mango chutney, and raiita!

This curry cooks in about the same amount of time as it takes to cook brown rice.

Chick pea curry 7

My favourite herb is sage. I will literally include it anywhere I can. I know it is not traditionally the correct herb for curry - and coriander cilantro would be better suited, but I really liked it just as a dressing for this curry, it was not too overpowering- where sometimes coriander can be.

Chick pea curry 5



   Recipe:
   
   1 tbsp Sunflower Oil
   2 Red Onions (see Notes)
   1 Red Pepper
   1 Yellow Pepper
   2 Cloves of Garlic - Crushed
   1 tsp Coriander Seeds
   1 tsp Cumin
   1 tsp Garam Masala
   1 tsp Chili Powder
   1/2 tsp Indian Saffron
   1/2 tsp turmeric
   1 tin Chick Peas (see Notes)

1. Sweat the Onions, Red Pepper, Yellow Pepper, Garlic and Coriander Seeds together with the oil until translucent.
2. Mix together all of the spices with enough cold water to make a stiff paste (see picture)
3. Add the spice paste to the Vegetables, and gently fry together for a couple of minutes.
4. Stir in the Chick Peas, making sure the spices are now evenly coating everything. 
5. Pour on enough water to just about cover everything. Bring to boil.
6. Reduce the heat and leave to simmer for 10 minutes.
7. Serve with Rice and Indian Bread.





   Notes:

   This recipe can be easily doubled to feed more hungry mouths!

   This is a In-House-Meat-Eating-Carnivore favourite! The texture of the Chick Peas is just right, you don't
   even feel like you are missing meat at all.

   Spices are completely subjective, but the top ten Indian Spices* are
     10. Turmeric
     9. Coriander
     8. Cumin
     7. Mustard Seed (nice, but I found this a little overpowering in this dish!)
     6. Curry
     5. Tamarind
     4. Cinnamon
     3. The Resin of Asafoetida
     2. Cardamom
     1. Chili

   Substitutions:
     Onions - It is completely up to you what type of onions are used. I know in America, your Green onions
                    are what I would call Scallions/ Spring onions! (but I still think they would work!)
     Peppers - Again it does not matter - you can even leave them out if you like.
     Spices - This is my favourite mix of spices, but if you don't have one, leave it out, or replace with
                   something else you like the smell of. Cumin, Garam Masala and Chili are the main spices
                   here. If you like curry very mild, reduce the amount of Chili.
     Chick Peas - The Chick Peas I used here are white chick peas. They are nice. But this dish is really
                   brought to life when you use Brown Chick Peas (which are my all time favourite, I just didn't
                   have any on hand). They are softer and creamier in texture than their white counterparts.

   * According to toptenz,net

   Stay in touch with me, either on twitter or by email! I'll always be ready to talk.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...